Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 4 Months of Whoever Grabs the Officer First...

Hopefully the great "how officers are selected" debate is more nuanced than vote/don't vote. A Company server open to the public that advertised giving priority to company members for officer/NCO spots is a great recruitment tool for companies. Pub players and company staff get a feel for how they work together without having to sign up to find out.

Some sort of system that uses reputation or minimum time in game as qualifiers, or even a sort of inverted out of bounds thing that autokicks, triggers a confidence vote or prevents respawning as officers a player who won't "talk" or issue orders is worth considering.

Leadership could be linked to other in game actions that might need nudging. Get killed out of line a few times and lose your voting privileges or ability to hold a command slot until you serve as flag bearer for awhile.

I see threads on player base concerns and look at other games that use achievements to try and keep up interest. Why not experiment with something like that while WoR is in alpha or beta? Link it to leadership or voting eligibility. Instead of a simple first come first serve officer selection, players could enter as candidates and the game then selects the guy with the most points for achievements like "Go ten games without getting killed out of line" or "Picked up the flag fifty times" when the game starts up or the leader respawns.

WoR is innovative, and I'd think an innovative leadership selections system would be a good fit, especially if it encouraged the sort of team play that makes WoR "pop."

Even if you believe that closed environment clan discipline is the cure-all for leadership and team play issues, providing mechanics and systems that gives current and incoming non clan customers an initial public game that has a reputation for having mostly competent leaders within an environment where "good" team based, non Rambo play is rewarded even when, and maybe especially when, the other side is kicking the stuffing out of you will go a long way to keeping WoR going over the long haul.

Would be great to hear some substantial input from CG about this.

It’s now coming up to 6 months since release so is there plan to leave Officer the way it is in public games or to have a quality control mechanism over who can spawn as Officer?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    ...It’s now coming up to 6 months since release ...
    The game is still in alpha development.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    The game is still in alpha development.
    See the original post. I am obviously talking about Steam release. They’ve had nearly 6 months since it went public and ample feedback on how the Officer in public games needs some sort of quality control mechanism.

CSA Captain

See the original post. I am obviously talking about Steam release. They’ve had nearly 6 months since it went public and ample feedback on how the Officer in public games needs some sort of quality control mechanism.
    But still its an Alpha and development is still in (heavy) progress. So, consider the "officer issue" one piece of 100.000 pieces puzzle. So, as stated dozens of times in the 6 years i am following WoR now: Patience is key.

Hey there Quaker,
    Soulfly mentions a key item, the mechanics of the officer class is but one component of hundreds that are all priorities for us of one sort or another, each of which in the programming side of things has a tendency to create bugs and crashes. Given our small team, our programmers only have the ability to focus on one or two pieces of the puzzle, which can be a long and laborious process, which either time or more money to hire more programmers can fix. That means that while we are waiting on those systems currently being developed to be finished, we make use of what we have now to add in other parts of the puzzle, such as new regiments and even new maps or areas! We are able to do that with those that aren't programmers, so we do appreciate everyone's patience when all we have is what has been termed "cosmetic changes only." It does not mean we are not focusing on the correct part of the puzzle, merely that the other members are working on their own parts in tandem.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey there Quaker,
    Soulfly mentions a key item, the mechanics of the officer class is but one component of hundreds that are all priorities for us of one sort or another, each of which in the programming side of things has a tendency to create bugs and crashes. Given our small team, our programmers only have the ability to focus on one or two pieces of the puzzle, which can be a long and laborious process, which either time or more money to hire more programmers can fix. That means that while we are waiting on those systems currently being developed to be finished, we make use of what we have now to add in other parts of the puzzle, such as new regiments and even new maps or areas! We are able to do that with those that aren't programmers, so we do appreciate everyone's patience when all we have is what has been termed "cosmetic changes only." It does not mean we are not focusing on the correct part of the puzzle, merely that the other members are working on their own parts in tandem.
    Hi George and thanks for the reply.

I am not asking for an immediate fix for this issue.

I am asking what CG’s stance on it is. As far as I know it’s still up in the air. Do they think anyone spawning as Officer is fine as it is or is the plan to change it? They must have some inkling after 6 months of public play and all the feedback on this issue.

The lack of transparency is always befuddling to me but not unique to WoR. The lack of vigor among the community for pushing features I find pretty weird and that's why I've always said there's this real danger of WoR being scene as a platform for digital because that's about what most gamers seem to be able to imagine asking for features but little in the background to make those features come together. The lack of engagement in these Suggestion Forums (beyond the monthly kill-count requests) is probably not helped by the lack of transparency. I'm pretty sure there's only one entity in the universe that can decree something and have it form according to plan the first time and that's not any game developer anywhere. Not to bash picket patrol too much, 'cause more is better, but a lot of people could have raised a lot of questions about that a lot earlier if they had known it was coming down the pipe. Getting a good community grilling on coming features, like the artillery, would probably save time and effort.

Instead we're just sort of shouting into the darkness and waiting to see what'll be served up. Knowing there's presently no plans to make the officer or NCO roles meaningful is disconcerting to say the least considering the immense effect it has daily on gameplay experiences. The level of discipline and patience required of players to go into a game with a tiny fraction of the killing power available in other games, to obey self-appointed random officers for the sake of going-along-to-get-along, to pursue a frail existence as a formation for a minute or two tops, generally confined to strict cover... it's just too much to ask.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    The lack of transparency is always befuddling to me but not unique to WoR. The lack of vigor among the community for pushing features I find pretty weird and that's why I've always said there's this real danger of WoR being scene as a platform for digital because that's about what most gamers seem to be able to imagine asking for features but little in the background to make those features come together. The lack of engagement in these Suggestion Forums (beyond the monthly kill-count requests) is probably not helped by the lack of transparency. I'm pretty sure there's only one entity in the universe that can decree something and have it form according to plan the first time and that's not any game developer anywhere. Not to bash picket patrol too much, 'cause more is better, but a lot of people could have raised a lot of questions about that a lot earlier if they had known it was coming down the pipe. Getting a good community grilling on coming features, like the artillery, would probably save time and effort.

Instead we're just sort of shouting into the darkness and waiting to see what'll be served up. Knowing there's presently no plans to make the officer or NCO roles meaningful is disconcerting to say the least considering the immense effect it has daily on gameplay experiences. The level of discipline and patience required of players to go into a game with a tiny fraction of the killing power available in other games, to obey self-appointed random officers for the sake of going-along-to-get-along, to pursue a frail existence as a formation for a minute or two tops, generally confined to strict cover... it's just too much to ask.
    Thanks for the feedback.

The Picket Patrol mode was created based off of community feedback - asking for a more open ended game mode with no set capture areas.

The NCO was recently given the feature of displaying an NCO icon if said NCO is In Formation. While not much, they do now have something to differ themselves with.

I am asking what CG’s stance on it is. As far as I know it’s still up in the air. Do they think anyone spawning as Officer is fine as it is or is the plan to change it? They must have some inkling after 6 months of public play and all the feedback on this issue.
    We have no current plans regarding introducing officer election/voting systems. The reason for us wanting to keep it open comes down to us not wanting half the gametime being spent on trying to get enough people to vote an officer off because he managed to misstep a bit - instead the hope is for players to accept the fact that the current officer is just that, the current officer. If he's inexperienced, the hope is to have players trying to guide him to the proper actions so he may become experienced instead of trying to vote him off.

- Trusty

It's seldom even in the ballpark of fun walking into a server and playing with zero input on to something as mind-numbingly critical as "let's not have Joe the idiot run the team who's asking us basic gameplay functions or lacks an idea of what 'final push' is." Oh, we don't have to follow them. What the hell else are we supposed to do? The roles are in the game and accentuated now by multiple perks. People don't come into a game like this to wander around alone or in pairs. Fun in WoR is almost wholly dependent on who you're playing with right now. If you don't have the right crew on, you're screwed. There's no recourse for a player to do anything about his circumstances.

Some folks on here care less about public gameplay functioning and more about being the pathway to good gaming through recruitment. The more dysfunctional and messy the public gameplay is the easier that pitch is to sell to the remaining players. That's the gaming status quo in these types of games which requires that direct kinship (friends and clans) with a group of players to enjoy the game. It doesn't change between games without features to change it. As serious gamers deviating outside of the mainstream we need unique features more than other communities because we don't come here to spray-and-pray or kill-count.

They'll go on and on about "PLM I'm tired of your anti-company BS" or, most preposterously, accusing me of not even playing as if there was a shred of truth to it anywhere. What I am is adamantly anti-anti-community folks because I'm all-too familiar with them after 18 years of realism gaming. And we don't have many of those folks but they're most damaging in positions of authority. You see the response: the mere suggestion of addressing this issue and it's like we're on gang turf and threatening someone's way of life.

It's all well and good how people choose to play a game but I can't help but imagine what would be if the foundation of more games were sufficient to bring the desired gameplay to life. I remember the screenshots and footage of gameplay of Day of Defeat in 2001 with squads of infantry stacked up next to each other, providing covering fire, all this swell stuff. Was it in gameplay? No... it was all a contrived mirage. It was all posed. Actual gameplay was standard lame-stream crap. We'd have a drill, we'd play roles, and photo ops and video ops and then in matches that was all out the freaking window. What use is covering fire if a sniper can creep around a corner in the face of it and it doesn't impede him at all? Why huddle up in a squad if you're just a grenade target from some guy throwing it while jumping out a window? And ever since then in video games I've seen these safe, calculated, incremental changes in the direction of realism and innovation. Nobody wants to do anything too drastic. Why? So 24 months for now I can sit around on a Saturday afternoon waiting for a WoR server to fill up to host an event so we can lock up and play the game properly? WoR has some commendable features, many of which would have been revolutionary 15 years ago. I just want to see a game jump the tracks and go all-in for once. Now I'm getting gray hairs and it's the same old thing - people have to contrive an image of gameplay in screenshots and video. Start chipping away at the gap between the choreographed footage and the actual gameplay and only good things can happen

If a feature takes players 22.5 minutes to pick a team leader then something is critically wrong with the design, not the concept. I personally haven't suggested a basic style election for a long time, rather a way of easily freely associating with a player and changing that association fluidly to reward a leader you're working with. It could be as simple as a player pressing a button and raising his hand, his sword, whatever - lets call it rallying- and then other players going up to him or his underlings (either then or at any time) and pressing a button to appoint him as their leader... or ignoring him, depending on their personal choice. The more followers he gets the more rank he gets. If he gets enough ranks let him hand out stripes. A single election feature might have its place somewhere but not mid-round and mid-round is when players may figure out they were following an idiot. Taking a couple minutes to figure initial leaders out at the spawn as a set planning period is totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The Picket Patrol mode was created based off of community feedback - asking for a more open ended game mode with no set capture areas.
    Yes I remember the passing conversations where people wanted a more sandbox style mode but I thought they were mostly talking about a more open Antietam and I don't remember one-life suggestions being promoted in conjunction with that. The mode might indeed be fun at some point... the issue at-hand is that it if I'm only capable of enduring an hour or so of respawn gameplay unless the circumstances are great.... then how much less willing am I to do the same thing in a single-life scenario? Not much.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 06-07-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n