Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Trolls have taken over the public servers

sorry im very confused on how to use this forum im not allowed to create threads, but i got teamkilled for killing the enemy flag bearer. Then when i spawned in i kept getting teamkilled by "Adult DIAPERS" and his friends, they killed me enough to not get kicked, i was tired of waiting in the spawn screen, so when i was getting tk's i retaliated and then got blamed and temp kicked out the official 200 player server. Why is this community so toxic man???? Also how long is the ban? Its upsetting that I get teamkilled, blamed and kicked, for killing an enemy. Sorry if this isn't the place to post again idk how to use these forums, thank you.

We already answered this in Discord, but for anyone else that experiences the same: the server kicked you for teamkills. You can't really ask why the community is so toxic while engaging in that same toxic behavior. The temp ban is six hours. I think you need ten posts before you can create a thread.

There is a guy named Da Gore. He TKs and gets his friends to do it too. But worse he was drunkenly bragging -to put it far more polite than he did- about "banging 12 yr old girls" and sexually harasses the female players. I already reported him to steam, but I think the WoR group needs to be watching out for this guy as well.

It has to be said this issue really hasn’t been resolved. And while a certain degree of toxicity and trolling is unfortunately to be expected in any online community, the casual disregard for policing long term known trolls on public servers is readily apparent.

And to be clear, I am not talking about the sort of guy who maybe plays obnoxious music in the mill, or manages to get temp banned one time because he decided blasting a friendly regiment with canister would be hilarious just this once. I’m not even talking about the common virulent racist spam you can mute, though that is sadly ubiquitous. I am talking about when a name can log on, and the entire side groans. When the NCOs have to start issuing orders to wait for Known Troll to steal the flag, then ration out TKs to avoid autobans so he doesn’t run it into the other side’s spawn, when everyone has to tell the new players that so long as Known Troll is occupying and officer spot, never to trust a line. When Known Troll’s presence simply causes every even semi experienced officer to leave the match because they know at best the already demanding task of coordinating a bunch of strangers is going to collapse under constant deliberate trolling and usually that officer being assassinated, or the entire artillery section has to report it can’t contribute anytime Known Troll is on because he will constantly derail the guns. And perhaps worst, the constant need to explain to new players that there is literally nothing than can be done but bear it because even if they get server booted, they have a technical bypass that means they’ll be back in a minute. And that this is all known, because it happens for days or weeks of repetitions.

You may notice I mentioned new players a few times in there. That’s because that’s who is getting hit hardest, and they’re the guys putting money into the continued development of the game, and they’re the ones whose presence expands the player base rather than let it go into a slow natural decline. The guys who brought over regiments in full from Holdfast? Already here. The guys who bought it before it ever hit steam because they were deeply interested in its development? They’re already here, they’ve got 2000 hours in the game, and they’re in a regiment. But the guy who plunked down some EA money because the steam que looked interesting? That’s who is coming in to make the enterprise live and that’s who is talking to anyone else who is interested outside the hard kernel of initial players.

And you want to know what their experience is if they log in at the wrong time, go to the fullest server because of course they do, and then meet unconstrained trolls? Let me give a verbatim quote:

“Guys I bought this game three days ago and I’m trying to have fun, but you’re all ruining it. Fuck it, I’m leaving to play (ok I forget what game he left to play)”

Now, I don’t know if the speaker went and got a refund, if he’s ever coming back, or if he’s just one more missed opportunity for WoR. No clue. And I’m not a game dev, or a stakeholder in the company who knows the financials. But just like you don’t have to be a surgeon to know patients dying on the table is bad, I think I can safely say that if you’re bleeding new players because there is literally no way to handle massive troll disruptions to a heavily team based game, that is not where you want to be.

And to be very clear, that’s where we are. So can we please get real policing, real consequences, and a real systemic answer to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GloriousRuse View Post
    So can we please get real policing, real consequences, and a real systemic answer to this problem.
    Thank you for your feedback.

We're currently actively developing the demotion system, previewed in the last field report, in order to give better self policing tools to servers with no online admins.

- Trusty

And I am excited to see the system come in. I am concerned however that while it will raise the barrier to entry for casual trolling and allow faster response to known trolls, the hard kernel of dedicated ones will rapidly find bypasses - either technical or in the system rules of demotion. I would ask that a more concerted effort is put into active policing, creating real consequences on to hard cases, or empowering the community to bring forward the very worst offenders for revoking the privilege to play to the game. I realize there are a host of thorny complications with the latter, but perhaps you might consider empowering trusted agents to bring matters to the devs for game revocation in extremis. Any way is going to require manpower and time, but even a couple hours of case review bi-weekly in a known process will provide a qualitative value add.

In a particularly embarrassing display, one Known Troll continued trolling throughout multiple games even while a dev was on the server and players were repeatedly asking in chat for assistance, to include in one case going over to the other side and asking there. Nothing happened, which no doubt is why said troll had this to say:

DevHelpless.jpg

Pretty bad when players deliberately attacking the entertainment value of a product can mock the producers while destroying customer experience, literally while a member of the company is present, and expect that they'll be allowed to keep destroying value with no repercussions. A bit as if a guy playing concert decibel music in a movie theater were allowed to taunt theater owners before knocking the popcorn out of people's hands and everyone just said this was the price of going to the movies, all while the alleged ushers just grinned sheepishly.

literally while a member of the company is present, and expect that they'll be allowed to keep destroying value with no repercussions.
    The repercussion is us developing more systems for players to police non-admined servers. We are developers first and foremost, not server admins.

- Trusty

Unless I'm mistaken, Campfire Games is actually a single product company first and foremost. The company is responsible for the overall product experience - especially as it relates to Official Servers like the above case. So when a representative of the company is on the company's own servers watching known cases deliberately ruin the value of the game for dozens of customers and then all that can be said about it is "not our problem, we know that the tools we have to stop trolls in our heavily team based game are ineffective, and that we don't have any dedicated admins in our official servers, but hey we just write the code so caveat emptor", just wow. A total abdication of responsibility to the product if it isn't the coding?

Unless I'm mistaken, Campfire Games is actually a single product company first and foremost. The company is responsible for the overall product experience - especially as it relates to Official Servers like the above case. So when a representative of the company is on the company's own servers watching known cases deliberately ruin the value of the game for dozens of customers and then all that can be said about it is "not our problem, we know that the tools we have to stop trolls in our heavily team based game are ineffective, and that we don't have any dedicated admins in our official servers, but hey we just write the code so caveat emptor", just wow. A total abdication of responsibility to the product if it isn't the coding?
    No, not at all. We admin the servers when we're on them to playtest stuff but as a whole we try to spend as little time as possible doing admin work (if you want active admins play on the community hosted servers) as there will always be another edgy teen or indeed a racist joining the game - and so our time is simply better spent working on features that can deal with all of them instead of focusing on individuals one at a time for all eternity.

That being said we do ban players for racial slurs when we come across them when playtesting if we are not too busy working on development related issues (such as bug reproduction, community interaction, performance work, etc.).

- Trusty