Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Simulating Officer loss/Importance

USA Brigadier General

that's actually my job in my regiment. I have am usually ordered to pick off officers, so i always take the mississippi rifle or lorenz(faction depeding) and try and take them down. but in war of rights since the pistol has been given shorter ranges i'm gonna go back to trying to take out rankers as they will be a big threat. even more so in war of rights than in North and South

CSA Major

I think that volley in the officer corps video must have been pretty close range but yes, leading from the front does have its advantages AND disadvantages....

Same a officers on horses. You get a better view and can move quicker, however you become a giant target for skirms etc.

And regarding the scale of the game from what we've seen. I think the largest battle image, is at the end of the back hats video with maybe 40+ union men on screen in various lines and others. So yes, 100 vs 100 on smaller maps or please please more would be very hectic.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by SemajRednaxela View Post
    I think that volley in the officer corps video must have been pretty close range but yes, leading from the front does have its advantages AND disadvantages....

Same a officers on horses. You get a better view and can move quicker, however you become a giant target for skirms etc.

And regarding the scale of the game from what we've seen. I think the largest battle image, is at the end of the back hats video with maybe 40+ union men on screen in various lines and others. So yes, 100 vs 100 on smaller maps or please please more would be very hectic.
    Agreed, but I think that volley could happen at longer ranges due to weapon accuracy and range
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Yes, we haven't really seen companies exchange volley fire.

The rebs in the burnside video are formed in 2 ranks nicely up on the high ground and give the union troops two volleys. The union troops on the other hand form a single line on the other side once crossed with a supporting single line further back on the bridge.

From the videos the aiming does look rather wavey and the kill rate does seem pretty consistent with range etc

CSA Major

You can steady your aim, I think the reason they didn't do it in the video is because at that close of range theres not much reason to take all that time steadying your gun

CSA Major

Yes, in the training camp trailer at the range you could see what looked like the private steadying the rifle before he fired. You got more of a sense of it from that other perspective too.

CSA Major

Yes, in the training camp trailer at the range you could see what looked like the private steadying the rifle before he fired. You got more of a sense of it from that other perspective too.
    In the ballistics video for the kicksarter you can see the rifle steady pretty well.

CSA Major

True, and for a shot that's traveling 500+ yards....

CSA Major

True, and for a shot that's traveling 500+ yards....
    Yeah lol, that's not even the farthest range of these rifles, most can be effective out to 800 or even 1000 yards. but most engagements will take place much closer, most likely start at under 300 yards due to smoke and then they will close in as visibility lessens, I think I'm correct to say that most engagements were around 100 yards, I know the Tigers fought the Iron Brigade multiple times at distance closer than 100 (I think it was around 50 yards)
    Last edited by Legion; 03-12-2016 at 05:26 PM.

CSA Major

Yes, closer was was preferred. I know at waterloo although a few decades earlier, the highlanders exchanged volleys with the French from under 50 yards for some time and both sides suffered minimal losses due to the smoke etc.