Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload Animation is wrong!

Reload Animation is wrong!

Let me preface this by saying that your reload mechanics are by far the best that I have seen in a ACW video game ever.

However. No manual I know of instructs you to draw and return rammer like I see the character doing in game, It also does not make any sense from an efficiency perspective.

Here is Hardee's:

5. Draw- RAMMER.
    One time and three motions.
    160. (First motion.) Half draw the rammer by extending, the right arm; steady it in this position with the left thumb; seize the rammer between the thumb and fore-finger of the right hand the thumb under and the finger over the rammer; fingers extended, palm of the hand to the front.
    161. (Second motion.) Clear the rammer from the pipes by extending the arm; the rammer in prolongation of the pipes, palm of the hand to the front.
    162 (Third motion.) Turn the rammer by closing the fingers, the little end passing near the left shoulder, turning the back of the hand to the front; steady it by extending the forefinger of the right hand; place the head of the rammer on the ball, the rammer in prolongation of the barrel.
    6. Ram- CARTRIDGE.
    One time and one motion.
    163. Insert the rammer as far as the right, and steady it in this position with the thumb of the left hand; seize the rammer at the small end with the thumb and fore-finger on the right hand, the back of the hand to the front; press the ball home, the elbows near the body.
    7. Return- RAMMER.
    164 (First motion.) Draw the rammer half-way out, and steady it in this position with the left thumb; grasp it near the muzzle with the right hand, the thumb under and fore-finger above the rammer, the fingers extended; clear the rammer from the bore by extending the arm, the palm to the front, the rammer in the prolongation of the bore.
    165. (Second motion.) Turn the rammer, the head passing near the left shoulder, the fingers closed, the rammer held between the thumb and fore-finger-nails to the front; insert the rammer, until the hand reaches the muzzle.
    166. (Third motion.) Force the rammer home by placing the little finger of the right hand on the head of the rammer; extend the left hand down the piece without depressing the shoulder.

Casey's is exactly the same with the typos corrected

Gilham's

5. Draw - RAMMER.

110. First motion. Drop the right elbow smartly, and seize the rammer between the thumb and fore-finger bent, the other fingers shut; draw it smartly, extending the arm, seize the rammer again at the middle between the thumb and fore-finger, the hand reversed, the palm to the front, the nails up, the eyes following the movement of the hand, clear the rammer from the pipes by again extending the arm.

Second motion. Turn rapidly the rammer between the bayonet and the face, closing the fingers, the rammers of the rear rank grazing the right shoulders of the men of the same file in front, the rammer parallel to the bayonet, the arm extended, the butt of the rammer opposite to the muzzle but not yet inserted, the eyes fixed on the muzzle.

Third motion. Insert the butt of the rammer, and force it down as low as the hand.

6. Ram - CARTRIDGE.

One time and one motion.

111. Extend the arm to its full length to seize the rammer between the right thumb extended and the fore-finger bent, the other fingers closed; with force ram home twice and seize the rammer at the small end between the thumb and fore-finger bent, the other fingers closed, the right elbow touching the body.

7. Return - RAMMER.

112. First motion. Draw the rammer briskly, re-seize it at the middle between the thumb and fore-finger, the hand reversed, the palm to the front, the nails up, the eyes following the band, clear the rammer from the barrel by extending the arm.

Second motion. Turn the rammer rapidly between the bayonet and the face, closing the fingers, the rammers of the rear rank grazing the right shoulders of the men in the same file in front, the rammer parallel to the bayonet, the arm extended, the little end of the rammer opposite to the first pipe, but not yet inserted, the eyes fixed on that pipe.

Third motion. Insert the small end, and with the thumb, which will follow the movement, force it, as low as the middle band; raise the hand quickly, a little bent, place the little finger on the butt of the rammer, and force it down; lower the left hand on the barrel to an extent of the arm without depressing the shoulder.
    Gilham's is essentially the same as Casey's and Hardee's, with the latter two simplifying the language greatly and being more specific about what the left hand is doing when loading.

Either way, the left thumb should hold the rammer in place when drawing and returning the rammer. Placing the rammer in the left hand as done currently is strange as it isn't intuitive and was probably harder to animate.

If necessary, I could find or record a video demonstrating the proper way to load as per the manual. I have an 1853 enfield or an 1842 springfield at my disposal.

As well as an original 1863 springfield
    Last edited by Pepin le Bref; 09-06-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Was wondering about that myself. Have never seen it in any other media, nor was taught that in my reenacting unit.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA General of the Army

Most of the developers are reenactors so I'm sure they know about this.

We are totally aware of every single drill.
    It was also drilled, that you have to shoot your musket, after you loaded it. Still, during the battle of Gettysburg, 25.000 rifles were found, which was loaded twice or up to 20 times!
    As you can see, during the battle, a lot of soldiers lost their drilled behaviour. So I doubt that every single soldier used the exact same reload style

Our goal is to have a bunch of different reload animations, with correct drill but also variations like we have ingame now. People shouldn't focus 100% on such drills... During the battle lot of things changed

USA Captain

My understanding is that it was the adherence to the drill that kept the relatively few men who loaded their weapons multiple times loading and attempting to fire until they were wounded, killed, or realized their weapon was malfunctioning.

The point of drill is to practice until something becomes almost instinct, instead of conscious action. This is entirely because people panic when shot at or attacked, and will fall back on that unconscious action.

Yeah I dont buy the whole "they screwed up sometimes" excuse for an animation thats present on the DRILL field.

I'm not a combat vet, nor was that my job, but I was drilled and drilled and drilled to where a problem would happen and I'd be taking the required actions even before I had time to conciously recognize what exactly was going on.

Drill and the manual of arms was done repetitively for hours every day. Your life depended on how fast you and your comrades could put lead downrange. As stated above; in stressful situations you fall back on instinct, and drill-perfect is what is instinct its also the fastest and easiest way to reload.

Read any diary/journal and they will tell you that they could "eat, drill, march, and shoot" in their sleep.

Yeah, and about the weapons found loaded 20 times, that was due to fouling of the nipple more so than stress. They fell back on their drill and did the manual of arms like robots, properly loading their weapons as trained, but not realizing they had a weapons malfunction. The fact they put 20 rounds down the barrel is proof they stuck to the manual more so than its proof that people DIDNT stick to the manual
    Last edited by Pepin le Bref; 09-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepin le Bref View Post
    Yeah I dont buy the whole "they screwed up sometimes" excuse for an animation thats present on the DRILL field.

I'm not a combat vet, nor was that my job, but I was drilled and drilled and drilled to where a problem would happen and I'd be taking the required actions even before I had time to conciously recognize what exactly was going on.

Drill and the manual of arms was done repetitively for hours every day. Your life depended on how fast you and your comrades could put lead downrange. As stated above; in stressful situations you fall back on instinct, and drill-perfect is what is instinct its also the fastest and easiest way to reload.

Read any diary/journal and they will tell you that they could "eat, drill, march, and shoot" in their sleep.
    We've forwarded this topic to our Historical Advisor. Thank you for the report. We'll look into it in the future but at the moment we have bigger fish to fry animation wise.

- Trusty

USA Lieutenant General

I agree with what you are stating. A few of us were on last night discussing things that could possibly help the game play of the game be more accurate but fun at the same time

USA Captain

i recorded a video and yes it's wrong keeps looping till you hit some keys

will up it and show you guys

Kindly, Sergio
    Sergio Echart
    Founder: https://www.facebook.com/UruguayOC
    Tester & Reviewer: Seasonic, Silverstone, Crucial, Alphacool, Raijintek, HIS, OCZ, ADATA
    Colaboradores: ZOTAC, GALAX, EK WaterBlocks, AMD, MachXtreme, Cryorig, Avexir, Apacer

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    We are totally aware of every single drill.
    It was also drilled, that you have to shoot your musket, after you loaded it. Still, during the battle of Gettysburg, 25.000 rifles were found, which was loaded twice or up to 20 times!
    As you can see, during the battle, a lot of soldiers lost their drilled behaviour. So I doubt that every single soldier used the exact same reload style

Our goal is to have a bunch of different reload animations, with correct drill but also variations like we have ingame now. People shouldn't focus 100% on such drills... During the battle lot of things changed
    Perfect statement. Not only do I agree to a certain extend in terms of "losing some drill in stressful situations", I also very much appreciate and love the idea to have random different sets of animations for each action ingame, so not everything looks strangely "clone-synchronised" in a line battle, eventually.