Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Targeting of distant figures

Quote Originally Posted by Dether View Post
    now I am confused... he was the only one I could see .. and shot! I saw his smoke as I died. however I could have missed someone,, but I doubt it being that big a coincidence.
    I am too. How could you see him firing if you were hiding behind cover?

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    The update loop of players does a lot of things. One of those things is updating their position. We are yet to determine if lerping/interpolating the players every frame is that costly (I assume its not) and may in a future either make the lerping update every frame or just increase the distance at which delaying of the updates starts to trigger (so its less likely players will notice it as players will first start to teleport, farther away).
    It is costly. But you're making an FPS so its one of the things you're going to sink cycles in by necessity. From what I'm gathering you're trying to limit the number of updates per frame of object transforms. But I'm not sure that doing this will make that much of a difference. I'm guessing you're using some kind of countdown to count a number of frames (X) depending on the range to the object. Are you then not, apart from the additional computation needed to do the countdown anyway, also introducing a distributed update at the runtime? Or,

At normal update, every object transform is calculated every frame and lerp is used for a smooth transition on screen as 1 calculation.

At the "hybrid" update, for every object, first the distance is checked, the number of frames to wait is calculated and the next update loop is assigned = essentially giving each individual object its own update along with calculations.

This could potentially be a multitude of different updates running parallel as many players will all be at (slightly) different distances and would all requires a different formula running parallel to one another. So what you might gain per frame, you might lose per frame due to the additional load.

Edit: another thing that came to mind, how do you solve the issue of a moving player changing its distance to you and thus requiring an updated "frames to wait" pretty much constantly. If the code is checking for the distance to a player per frame and updating as this value changes, does the code update the frames to wait and as a result reset the countdown? This could cause the stuttering as well.
    Last edited by JohnDewitt; 11-09-2017 at 03:40 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I am too. How could you see him firing if you were hiding behind cover?

- Trusty
    I didn't see any thing but him bring up the rifle and I got behind the tree kneeling and looked up and saw the smoke just as I fell. the sound of the shot, the smoke and me falling was instantly. as I said I could have been hit by another but, the guys said it was him behind the tree and they got him. (he was behind another tree, but when he fired he was not) It could have been a lag issue, we had a like situation last nite from only a few feet apart, but this time I prevailed. he missed me and I missed him, we were very close, then I clubbed him to death. but neither of us should have missed those shots, it was as if we were not where we seemed, and when I clubbed him he seemed to be looking in a different direction from where I was. he also said something about lag as I clubbed him.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dether View Post
    I didn't see any thing but him bring up the rifle and I got behind the tree kneeling and looked up and saw the smoke just as I fell. the sound of the shot, the smoke and me falling was instantly. as I said I could have been hit by another but, the guys said it was him behind the tree and they got him. (he was behind another tree, but when he fired he was not) It could have been a lag issue, we had a like situation last nite from only a few feet apart, but this time I prevailed. he missed me and I missed him, we were very close, then I clubbed him to death. but neither of us should have missed those shots, it was as if we were not where we seemed, and when I clubbed him he seemed to be looking in a different direction from where I was. he also said something about lag as I clubbed him.
    That is most certainly to do with differences between first person animations and third person ones, not lag.

In short, the first person aim animation is slightly quicker than its third person one currently allowing the player to aim and fire before you can see he’s finished playing the aiming animation.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    That is most certainly to do with differences between first person animations and third person ones, not lag.

In short, the first person aim animation is slightly quicker than its third person one currently allowing the player to aim and fire before you can see he’s finished playing the aiming animation.

- Trusty
    ok.. now I do understand,,, so as I said before I got to be a bit quicker than what I see... if they are aiming.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.