Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Racism on CSA teams is at an epidemic level

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    ... we don't even teach them Actual History instead of Social Justice History. ...

Also known as Revisionist History.

The things that were didn't actually happen. You should believe this instead of that.

doh.gif

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Also known as Revisionist History.

The things that were didn't actually happen. You should believe this instead of that.

doh.gif
    So the South won?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Nightfire View Post
    So the South won?
    Not really sure how you come to that conclusion. But to blatantly state that every southerner was a slave owner and hated blacks is a complete and false lie per the period history, so when educations systems make that statement they're going for the revisionist history aspect. (Just one example.)

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Not really sure how you come to that conclusion. But to blatantly state that every southerner was a slave owner and hated blacks is a complete and false lie per the period history, so when educations systems make that statement they're going for the revisionist history aspect. (Just one example.)
    Well the correct statement would be that about 30% of all households in the CSA owned slaves.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Well the correct statement would be that about 30% of all households in the CSA owned slaves.
    Which still means that 70% of Southern households didn't.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

And at the risk of beating this subject to death ... ONCE AGAIN ...

There were 451,021 slaves counted in the 1860 census in states and territories that would make up the UNION during the Civil War.
    Twenty years earlier, in the 1840 census, there were 355,777 slaves counted and in 1850 ... 415,510.

90 percent of the total number of enslaved Africans transported to the New World who were imported to Brazil and the Caribbean ... NOT the US.
    Over 1 million slaves were transported to the New World before a single one reached the US.
    7.5 percent of all free blacks in the United States, in 1830, owned slaves.
    33 percent of South Carolina’s enslaved labor force, early in the 1700s, was made up of American Indians.

Can we all just agree that it is an abhorrent practice that none of us can truly understand because we were not raised in that culture or time period?
    Seems a more prudent course than calling only one small segment of the world's slave owning population ... evil racists.
    Hell, the US didn't even need to bear the rigors of slave importation because European countries brought them to the New World.

Play the WAR GAME!
    This is NOT a social justice game ... stop bringing stupid trash into what could possibly be one of the best efforts to create a Civil War Battle game ... to date.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Which still means that 70% of Southern households didn't.
    True but a misleading statement. Just becasue they didn't have the wealth or means to own slaves doesn't mean they wouldn't own them if they could.

I encourage all here to read McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. Goes into excrutiating detail on the politics, economics and feelings towards slavery. To say the Civil War wasn't about slavery is like saying WWII wasn't about facism.

Does that make every southerner a racist...no. Plenty in the north and south and west thought of any non whites as beneath them.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason99vmi View Post
    True but a misleading statement. Just becasue they didn't have the wealth or means to own slaves doesn't mean they wouldn't own them if they could.
    That is not an argument but nonsense, pretty much the same value of an argument like "All Germans were nazis and hated Jews".....

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason99vmi View Post

I encourage all here to read McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. Goes into excrutiating detail on the politics, economics and feelings towards slavery. To say the Civil War wasn't about slavery is like saying WWII wasn't about facism.

Does that make every southerner a racist...no. Plenty in the north and south and west thought of any non whites as beneath them.
    If you did read that book, then I'd suggest you re-read it because the authors conclusion is that the main reason for fighting it, on both sides, was actually freedom, in addition you should probably note that abolitionists wanted an end to slavery, not racism. The American Civil War did not have one single cause, it's much more complex than that. The reasons that northerners & southerners enlisted to fight in the war were also complex and varied, hence you get men born in the south staying loyal to the Union, and men born in the north fighting for the Confederacy.

Players who yell racist slogans in WoR are not really racists, they're just fools looking for attention, put them on ignore, don't give them the attention they want, and they'll jog along to another game.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    That is not an argument but nonsense, pretty much the same value of an argument like "All Germans were nazis and hated Jews".....
    You're analogy doesn't make sense. My statement was that its wrong to say the Civil War was not about slavery based on the fact a majority of southerners didn't own slaves.

Did "all" southerners believe in the institution of slavery...no. Did "most" believe in it....yes. Have a read at the Declarations of Secession. Or Stephen's "African Slavery, The Cornerstone of the Southern Confederacy". I don't know about you but that pretty much sums it up. Although who listens to Vice presidents.

Or when near the end of the war when the South initiated the idea of black regiments many argued that if they are given such status and freedom for serving that nulifies what they were fighting for. Some good quotes "One politician asked, “What did we go to war for, if not to protect our property?” Another suggested, “If slaves will make good soldiers, our whole theory of slavery is wrong.” Lee weighed in on the issue and asked the Confederate government for help. “We must decide whether slavery shall be extinguished by our enemies and the slaves be used against us, or use them ourselves.” Lee asked that the slaves be freed as a condition of fighting, but the bill that passed the Confederate Congress on March 13, 1865,did not stipulate freedom for those who served."

Many believed slavery to be ordained by God since its condoned in the Bible and if God wished to end slavery he would do so. Famously Lee and Jackson fall into that category.

Were all Germans nazis....no. it was a politial party not an institution.