Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grey out inactive regiments in Company Tool

I dont agree completely with you AP because this game is focused on companies and co-operative gameplay, which the devs gave us a tool for. If they let it rot they should not have it released in the first place. I see it as the name suggests a tool to help companies get organised and new players to volunteer. If you visit the company tool as a new player and see that mess, that isn't very good advertisement.
    Last edited by brentcarter; 10-05-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    At this time there is only one individual programmer responsible for this, and that's Fancy Sweetroll, however in the thinking of the developers, the company tool is not that large of a
    For all we know, Fancy has time to do revisions to the company tool. We do not know what is coming up for beta/early access.

Just because we post these suggestions, does not mean they need to be completed by EOD. They are here to discuss what features/options/desires/etc. we want to see within this software.

We will build in new features for the company tool, once we have bit more time.
    Right now, we are preparing other highly important stuff, which takes Fancy fully 24 hours a day. You will find out soon
    Last edited by Hinkel; 10-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by brentcarter View Post
    I dont agree completely with you AP because this game is focused on companies and co-operative gameplay, which the devs gave us a tool for. If they let it rot they should not have it released in the first place. I see it as the name suggests a tool to help companies get organised and new players to volunteer. …
    What I guess I failed to put across with my earlier post is: The present phase of the game for the development team, the way I see it, is for troubleshooting existing and new programing of the game and it's functions, not Order of Battle Rosters, this is why it's called Alpha.

I'm pretty sure the thinking of the Developers at this time is not so much about the Companies, Battalions, Regiments, Brigades, Divisions, or more, or those groups and their cooperative game play as it is, but rather, actual game play in general and making sure the programming, that allows the game play to function, and ultimately allow for that cooperative play.

True they did incorporate the Company Tool early to help encourage players to start organizing, but the Company Tool at this time is in no way connected to the overall gaming functions that we as Alpha Testers are to focus.

To be sure, CFG will not let the Company Tool "rot". It's truly as I have stated earlier, there are not enough programmers and certainly not enough time presently to focus on this aspect of the game. There will come a time, be certain of it.
    Early on the developers have stated that the C.T. will be an integral part of the game, but that time is not now. This is how you can be certain that it will not 'rot'.

… If you visit the company tool as a new player and see that mess, that isn't very good advertisement.
    I tend to give new players a little more benefit of the doubt here. I'm pretty sure with their joining the community they have some idea about the ACW, and the Armies involved, and some may even have ideas of where they want to eventually end up, and based on the number of units in the C.T. with 1 member making the unit, I'd say that confirms that thinking. And I disagree with you, respectfully, about it not being a very good advertisement.

Being as how I'm not a big online full time gamer, I ask that you show me any other game that has something like this so I can make an informed opinion, then maybe I can agree, but presently I know of none. That merit of itself makes it a great advertisement.

But addressing your claim "it's a mess." I think is a bit harsh.

Given this initial first effort of programming something that has never been programmed before however, it's a damned fine job as it is. And again all of this came from the mind of only one individual programmer, (with some external input of course,) and for an initial effort it's not really the "mess" you seem to make of it.

Some of the short comings of the program came to light not too long ago when I was given opportunity to expand and "reorganize" the units to correspond to the actual Orders of Battle rosters.

With that said, again, be assured this is something the developers want to advance, and it will be revisited, maybe a couple of times more. But given the overall path of where the Devs want to be, there is no priority for the Company Tool at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    For all we know, Fancy has time to do revisions to the company tool. We do not know what is coming up for beta/early access.

Just because we post these suggestions, does not mean they need to be completed by EOD. They are here to discuss what features/options/desires/etc. we want to see within this software.
    I might know a bit more than I let on.

And I fully understand that 'suggestions' posted here do not need to be implemented "EOD", I was just making clear that any changes for the C.T. might be further away than some of you may like.

And Herr Hinkle has reaffirmed, Mr. Sweetroll is totally involved with other stuff.

Yeah not really getting your long story don't really see your points. Don't see what it adds to the topic. But that's okay.

I can understand they are busy. But if you release a feature then that is part of the game. And it's part of the website it's something we all use to get our company organize. Devs have directed new players there to look for a fitting company. So most of what you write isn't correct.

The mess = that people think they found a company of their liking or that had family members and it turns out to be a fake company / just names on a list. There more companies like that then active ones. That has nothing to do with giving new players the benefit of doubt or whatever , it just isn't a nice experience to see all these companies on paper and not in the game.

Again they are working on other stuff that is fine nobody is claiming they should fix it now now now. No this is a message to the devs please take notice. Or make this a job for the moderators to reset the inactive paper companies.

Or make this a job for the moderators to reset the inactive paper companies.
    It was never a requirement to be active in the game in order to be able to form a company. So the above is not going to happen - that is not to say that we won't look at showing if a particular company is inactive on the actual tool one way or another in the future however.

Hill is right that there are other priorities for us at the moment - that doesn't mean we're not reading your suggestions and ideas however so please keep those up.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    We will build in new features for the company tool, once we have bit more time.
    Right now, we are preparing other highly important stuff, which takes Fancy fully 24 hours a day. You will find out soon
    What a major tease
    cant wait to see our surprise

Hill is as right as any other that posted here and understands the priorities nobody said anything different other then suggestions for this game that could be helpful. But I understand you sometimes need to aid the high backer and in the end you welcome suggestions. So.. it's all good.

Hill is as right as any other that posted here and understands the priorities nobody said anything different other then suggestions for this game that could be helpful. But I understand you sometimes need to aid the high backer and in the end you welcome suggestions. So.. it's all good.
    Yes, I always side with high tier backers over others...

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Yes, I always side with high tier backers over others...

- Trusty
    apologies for that.