Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Rank fire 'concussion' effect?

CSA Captain

Mass Rank fire 'concussion' effect?

I've not played for some weeks, numbers are poor when I can get on... however I've been following several Youtubers online.

I note the new addition of this mass rank firing concussion effect, similar to artillery shells falling near the player. I can only imagine how annoying this is in gameplay, as after every volley you are practically useless for a few seconds. Whats this volley effect based on, Dev opinion, some sort of balancing or research?

Speaking from my experience of being within spitting distance of mass musket volleys (reenactments) I never once experienced such an extreme effect (blurred vision, dizziness and disorientation) the worst effect for me being an annoying that ringings of the ears.

Is this addition a keeper?
    4th Texas 'C' Company

We too think it's too much at the moment. The amount of suppression rifle shots can cause will be decreased in the near future.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Thank you, good to hear (no pun intended)
    4th Texas 'C' Company

I'm not sure what the point of friendly fire suppressing you is. It discourages working together. And I don't like the effect style. Too cinematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of friendly fire suppressing you is. It discourages working together. And I don't like the effect style. Too cinematic.
    I'm pretty sure friendly fire aimed at you is just as effective at suppressing you as enemy fire.

As I've already stated, the effect will be turned down so only artillery strikes will reach the highest levels of suppression.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

He might be referring to friendly shots close to you when in a formation to fire a volley. If the guy next to you firing is going to suppress you why would you stand next to him? The first thought to go through anyone's head would be to move away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    He might be referring to friendly shots close to you when in a formation to fire a volley. If the guy next to you firing is going to suppress you why would you stand next to him? The first thought to go through anyone's head would be to move away from him.
    We agree which is why we're reducing the effect of it.

- Trusty

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We agree which is why we're reducing the effect of it.

- Trusty
    Excellent.
    Anything and everything to incentivise group play at range rather closing for the inevitable melee.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Actually, I wouldn't think that 'concussion' would be intra rank and file, but rather that the "shock wave" from forward volley into opposite lines, depending on distance, would be a factor.

Well... Friendly fire is an exception not the rule. In general, it's the enemy fire that will suppress you. Even the sound of it can suppress you if you know it's the enemy. Friendly fire... not so much. Need to differentiate between the two, I assume the game can since it tells you when someone is teamkilled vs a normal death. Outgoing fire suppresses nobody.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n