Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for artillery

Suggestion for artillery

My brain just shat out an idea. I hope that artillery will be usable realistic and not like the whole verdun-kinda thing: Aim with binoculars and wait for explosions. No, my idea is to let the players choose artillerists. You need three guys to operate the cannon, and three drivers. Or just let the three gun-operators drive. One reloads, one aims, and one gets ammo from the limber. And maybe they could like, place cannon and limber, and then go back to the spawn base to get a caisson. Yes, im really keen on victorian-age artillery and that would be awesome material for the game. Expecting your opinion and critique.

-SwissDixie
    Last edited by SwissDixie; 11-14-2015 at 12:51 PM.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Really? three guys to operate a gun?

According to everything I've ever read, a gun crew consists of 10 guys to operate effectively. And that's not counting the teamsters.

USA Captain

Please. Arty regiments are arty regiments because they can only get 5 guys online.
    https://i.imgur.com/4ICnSw0.png

Quote Originally Posted by Murch View Post
    Please. Arty regiments are arty regiments because they can only get 5 guys online.
    That's not true. In some cases it may be that way, but I myself was part of a big regiment who always had an artillery group. They used to let 10~15 people operating and guarding two~three cannons.

USA General of the Army

That's probably because they don't think operating artillery is as glorious as it is.

USA Major

so wrong i know a arty reg with 20 guys so they can man (in warband) 3 Cannons and have like 6 man or something like that arty guard and some man in reserv as arty man

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Last I heard, artillery will definitely be on the map (compared to Verdun that has off-map arty support) and will be player controlled. That's about all we know at the moment.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    Last I heard, artillery will definitely be on the map (compared to Verdun that has off-map arty support) and will be player controlled. That's about all we know at the moment.
    And it will be out standing!

Even if that number was required back in that time. Requiring 10 people to use one cannon would be rather unrealistic on gameplay terms. As it just unnecessarily fills up server slots. (One reason)

But yeah a proper artillery system would be neat to see!
    Last edited by Gokiller; 11-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Remember that there will be casual games aswell! three or even two men should operate a gun, maybe with less efectivity.
    Southern men the thunders mutter!
    Northern flags in South winds flutter!
    To arms! To arms! To arms!
    IN THE DIXIE