Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servers, chickens and eggs.

Servers, chickens and eggs.

I know that we are in an Alpha phase and servers are expensive beasts to rent.

I've read quite a few comments on Steam complaining about the lack of servers to play on, especially for the 'EU'.
    I'm concerned that we might have a 'chicken and egg' situation: people want to play; some have obviously bought the game regardless of Alpha status; some are put-off because they can't play when they want to and that puts other potential players off; some may ask for refunds because they won't wait.

I wonder what the plans are for the future? Are we eventually going to have so many US/EU based, official servers? It is difficult to grow a player base when you don't have the capacity for them to actually play, but I appreciate that having too many servers at the moment would suck money out of the enterprise.

Personally, I would be happy to pay something reasonable so we could have some EU battle servers, the lower ping would be worth it, for starters. If enough EU/Rest of World players were interested in clubbing-together, the cost might be bearable. I've no idea how much it would even cost - perhaps I'm being naive!?

"C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie"

Doesn’t the EU have 3 or 4 official servers, plus a few private Company ones?

As to the broader issue of how we get new servers going instead of logging in, seeing a game full, then logging off, I suggested a lobby chat box on the server screen. This will help facilitate getting more servers going.

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...ighlight=Lobby

^^ That is an excellent idea in my book.

https://www.twitch.tv/captainteddybear - My twitch channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8...CiFAYlhMjuDgRw - CaptainTeddybear's Youtube

https://discord.gg/5yK5hDS - Big Iron Gaming Discord.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/BigIronGames - Big Iron Gaming Steam group.

We rented an over priced 80 slot server on G-PORTAL-it took 3+ hours to install USA WEST, it now wont even display on server list. There's 0 customer support via support tickets. 8 hrs+ now no server and over $50 USD spent with server saying online when it isn't. Still 0 response from support on G Portal---don't rent a server for now lads.

[day 1 we did get 80/80 players in 2 sessions 6 hrs apart] a server reset on 0 players then made server not display anymore.
    Last edited by MOV_HIKKUPZ; 12-30-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MOV_HIKKUPZ View Post
    We rented an over priced 80 slot server on G-PORTAL-it took 3+ hours to install USA WEST, it now wont even display on server list. There's 0 customer support via support tickets. 8 hrs+ now no server and over $50 USD spent with server saying online when it isn't. Still 0 response from support on G Portal---don't rent a server for now lads.

[day 1 we did get 80/80 players in 2 sessions 6 hrs apart] a server reset on 0 players then made server not display anymore.
    Just curious why you went with 80 slots? Is it because of affordability or stability issues?

I saw your server full last night. Again this harkens back to my suggestion above. Because it was full, people would log in, assume no one was around to start a second server, and then log off. For all we know, literally hundreds of people wanting to play could have done this.

If we had a chat lobby on the Server screen as a gathering point (amongst many other uses) we could organise better and kick start servers as needed. Chat lobbies help build communities. I hope CG consider this idea.
    Last edited by Quaker; 12-30-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    Just curious why you went with 80 slots? Is it because of affordability or stability issues?

I saw your server full last night. Again this harkens back to my suggestion above. Because it was full, people would log in, assume no one was around to start a second server, and then log off. For all we know, literally hundreds of people wanting to play could have done this.

If we had a chat lobby on the Server screen as a gathering point (amongst many other uses) we could organise better and kick start servers as needed. Chat lobbies help build communities. I hope CG consider this idea.
    "Affordability" --nobody can host at present unless they rent the over priced servers from G-Portal [with no apparent customer support--unless perhaps its German hours only?]
    If its a case of server needs an update that too isn't made clear in "English"

****Also possible is an Official update was pending for just now as since my post here all servers were stopped to update***including ours now says updating mysteriously. Its possible our server reboot didnt work as it was waiting hours for the planned [non advertised update to server files] update.
    Last edited by MOV_HIKKUPZ; 12-30-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

I completely agree with you as an Australia based player this Server list feature could help once initial trolls ceased spamming on it. I too tend to not populate a 2nd server unless i can rally the mates online at that time hence I swap games.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gavsky View Post
    I know that we are in an Alpha phase and servers are expensive beasts to rent.

I've read quite a few comments on Steam complaining about the lack of servers to play on, especially for the 'EU'.
    I'm concerned that we might have a 'chicken and egg' situation: people want to play; some have obviously bought the game regardless of Alpha status; some are put-off because they can't play when they want to and that puts other potential players off; some may ask for refunds because they won't wait.

I wonder what the plans are for the future? Are we eventually going to have so many US/EU based, official servers? It is difficult to grow a player base when you don't have the capacity for them to actually play, but I appreciate that having too many servers at the moment would suck money out of the enterprise.

Personally, I would be happy to pay something reasonable so we could have some EU battle servers, the lower ping would be worth it, for starters. If enough EU/Rest of World players were interested in clubbing-together, the cost might be bearable. I've no idea how much it would even cost - perhaps I'm being naive!?
    This makes no sense at all. you say there is not enough servers? There is plenty of empty servers everytime I go online. if it's in morning, midday, evening or nighttime. Amount of servers is of no issue what so ever.

The issue is very simple. All you new players don't form in companies. Hence you are doomed to play with no organisation. No big battles can be and the battles there are, are a big mess 9 out of 10 times. Where some random guy dressed in a officer uniform yells that one regiment to one side and the rest to the other. Without having any clue to how many men there is on the respective regiments. In short it's a big joke to play with you nevcomers.

To expect that there should be tons of players on several servers, at all times. In a game like this, is in itself a joke. And this here question most clearly come from a person whom has not spend enough time to do the research of how this community works. It's and chicken and eggs situation you say. Please spare me this joke. It's a lazy players want it all served, with no work to show for it. Situation.

There are two problems with servers. You can't protect them with passwords and price doesn't match quality

Overall I am happy with the G-Portal server and its performance

*Customer Service will improve no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. Dane Karlsen View Post
    The issue is very simple. All you new players don't form in companies. Hence you are doomed to play with no organisation.
    come'on.

I don't know what the OP is talking about exactly either as there are plenty of servers. I think he means that players fill up one server and others can't fill, which is not true.

Filling up a server is tricky business, it takes work if a random blob didn't happen to just show up. You have to understand the hours players get on and show up with you and your crew prior to then and lurk until the server starts to fill. So if you've got 20 guys in your crew and you want to fill your server you have to be there well in advance of when you plan to start. You have to have the discipline and small-scale abilities to keep occupied for a good hour at least.

This has just been an F-ing nightmare at times just trying to stay in the game without crashing for long periods of time. How can you run any event or even admin things like that? Getting in a server with 149/150 players is almost impossible without the bugs. In normal times I would just sit in the server almost permanently while I go about my day. I seem to automatically crash after X number of map changes and be stuck in purgatory able to hear everyone's microphones from both teams as if they're right next to me. All the minor crashes are coming home to roost, I hope they're systemically deflated to where they aren't so predominant. I'd be swinging from an oak tree if I hadn't seriously upgraded my PC in October.

Forget events for now, for a whole plethora of reasons.

One thing we badly don't need is more servers. Considering they don't lock yet, nobody can reasonably expect to run serious events of any type like that. So what's the point in having one unless other servers are feral hellholes with no admins and you intend to change that. It's unreasonable to expect to keep track of new players as they join and wholly unfair expect them to understand the rules upon wandering in. Having anything less than a max player server seems like a waste to me. It's far better to network and combine efforts. Steam has unfortunately utterly sabotaged Steam Groups as a viable networking tool a year ago last August

That's what I'm all about but all ya'all are basically crazy so I'm waiting for the enough people to die on the inside for me to be serious. This isn't the summer. You can't host an event without any real tools to host one so I wish folks would stop trying and just play.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-31-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n